1) The Travel Book by Lonely Planet
This book is a travel experience by itself. Each country is described using beautiful photography, trivia, music and experience suggestions. If you’re not sure where to begin, this is the book to get the discussion started.
2) Where To Go When (Eyewitness Travel Guides) by Joseph Rosendo
Travelers want the most from their experience. This book not only suggests where to go but also the best time of year to avoid crowds or make the most of the weather.
3) Once in a Lifetime Trips: The World’s Most Extraordinary and Memorable Travel Experiences by Chris Santella
Start your journey with a book filled with events that casual travelers will probably never experience. These exciting adventures don’t show up in traditional guide books and are truly trips of a lifetime.
4) Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel by Rolf Potts
Travel writer, Rolf Potts has made his career writing about unconventional styles of travel. Extended travel takes some planning but Potts takes you through the steps of disconnecting yourself from your traditional life for a few months or even a year, leading you to rewarding life experience.
5) A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America from the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson
Bryson turns his thoughtful prose on the eastern United States in this book. It is a funny yet inspiring story of a friendship lost and rebuilt along the 3000 km Appalachian Trail.
6) The Rough Guide: First Time Around the World by Doug Lansky
Whether you have 3 weeks or a year this guide helps you plan a round-the-world travel experience for any budget. With expense charts, visa restrictions and transportation information for each country anyone can easily put together a trip of a lifetime.
7) Travelers’ Tales Thailand: True Stories by Larry Habegger
Westerners view Thailand as an exotic vacation destination with beautiful beaches and friendly people. The Thai people engineer their lives like it is a vacation. This book reviews and relays inspiring stories from tourists that have captured more than a vacation experience in the “land of smiles.”